Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One Week Old



Audrey home from this hospital





Awake Time!
Wow, I can't believe this time last week I was in labor waiting for precious Audrey to arrive. This past week has gone by so fast and of course has been nothing but life changing.

Audrey had her first appt. with the pediatrician yesterday and she is 19 inches long (she has grown!!) and exactly 6 lbs. We go back next week for the big "2 week" appt. The pediatrician said everything looks great and that he would not recommend getting her tongue clipped. He encouraged me to nurse for shorter periods of time but more often. He said this would establish a better sleep cycle faster. And guess what?! He was right! All day yesterday I fed Audrey every 2 1/2 hours in stead of 3. Dr. Pope also said to let them sleep for longer periods of time at night 3-4 hrs. Well, last night was the BEST night we have had so far and gives me great hope for the future. After giving Audrey a bath, we changed her into her pj's, swaddled her, then fed her (@ 9:50) and put her to bed at 10:30. She did not wake up again till 12:50 exactly and was ready to eat!! After this feeding we swaddled her again and layed her back down. She slept again till 4:10 and woke up to feed. She went down great and I had to wake her up at 6:30 to start the initial feeding of the day. (BabyWise) - So, today we will keep the 2 1/2 hr schedule and see how tonight goes!:)

Audrey is such a blessing to our family and we constantly are laughing at all of the precious things she does. Evan and I haven't laughed this much in a long time!

Things I don't want to forget:
  • Audrey LOVES to be swaddled. Thanks to her Auntie T and Uncle Casey who gave us a copy of the "Happiest Baby on the Block" we learned how to swaddle and soothe our baby with the 5 S's
  • Audrey can be a little houdini she loves to have her hands by her face and will put any good swaddle to the test!
  • She is a wonderful eater and has become more efficient with time. I am enjoying our sweet time together.
  • At night if she begins to cry we have set a limit not to let her cry longer than 5 min. this is very hard for Evan and I. But trying it a couple of nights ago, She never cried for longer than 5 min and would put herself to sleep. Trichelle (Audrey's Aunt) reminded me that they are just blowing off steam and it is ok to let them cry at times. This really put things into perspective for me and what a difference it made when we let her do this at night.
  • Audrey is tiny! She does not fit into ANY of her newborn clothes and her preemie onesies are loose on her. I never dreamed I would have a baby that wore preemie clothes but looks like she may be in these onesies for a little while longer.
She is growing before our eyes and I'm so excited to see what the future holds. Evan and I are so in love we cannot see straight!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

She is sleeping GREAT! I am so excited for you! She is precious. I cannot wait to see more pictures... and possibly pictures of Audrey and momma? :) Happy one week baby Audrey.

The Dubs said...

Oh, I'm so glad that she is sleeping better! That makes my heart smile. I love your "Things I don't want to forget..." what a smart idea to write those things down. So, what is this book you are talking about? Can I borrow it when you're done?!?!? Love you.

b said...

What a beautiful little girl! We are thrilled yall are getting some more sleep. Hang in there...